Sunday 4 March 2018

compete with yourself



Do I need to put the other person down to show how good I am?
We do have to compete in many areas, we have to win over to move on, and we have to face conflict from those who hold different views.  That is fine. But what I wonder about is…..
When facing any opposition or when there is a need to prove that we are right, why do we focus only on pointing out the negative aspects of the opponent, instead of highlighting where we are right or what we have achieved.  It is done by politicians (listen to election speeches), religious gurus, business competitors and even by family members.  A neutral person listening to such put-downers and criticism is not interested in the unpleasantness and wants to keep away from both parties.
I feel that if I am confident about myself I should stop accusing the other person and emphasize on what I have done or why I deserve better treatment or reward.  Trying to climb over others’ shoulders may make you go higher – but before you know it he or someone else will be climbing over your shoulder and you are back to square one.  Comparing oneself with others, trying to prove I am “better than thou” not only does not get long term results, but makes life a little bitter.
How about ignoring your opponents and detractors, and focusing on yourself, your progress, your skills and your goals?  How about competing with yourself?
Try it out, and make it a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment